Wow, I had one user yesterday having a problem with word 07. Every time she closed Word it would crash. The build-in diag tools didn’t find a problem. I tracked it down to a template add-in that I was unable to remove. When removing an add-in, Word doesn’t save the settings until either Word is closed or the dialog box has accepted the changes. But every time I tried to close the dialog box Word crashed and didn’t save the changes. Here are the steps to fix this:
Ever since I upgraded to Windows Vista x64 I have been unable to use tsadmin to manage terminal server sessions on my servers. Well today I decided to attempt to figure out what was going on. Now apparently there are other issues noted by Microsoft in KB article 930056, but this didn't solve my problem. Here's what did though..
All of our computers after an upgrade from TM7 to TM9 were crashing and I had to call support. I hate that! Well after working with them for three days we discovered it was because of bad data in three database tables.
I had several machines not checking into a new WSUS server. After some digging I discovered that after cloning machines from the same image that a registry key was preventing the machines from joining the WSUS server. You see, they all had the same SusClientID key and would compete for the connection to the server.
I have Vista x64 and needed to create an ODBC connection to an access database only to find out that I couldn’t. I thought this was rather strange. Come to find out, Microsoft doesn’t make a 64bit version of the Access Database Driver. What was I to do. Well Microsoft apparently decided it was going to hide the 32bit ODBC administrator tool by not giving any direct links to it.
I decided to check the size of some of my logs on specific servers. Well, as it turns out there were 4GB of logs! I needed a script that would delete the files after so many days. I was really lazy and looked up the recursion portion (MS Scripting Guys)! You can point this script anywhere and it will delete any files older then the days you specify.
We have been having some problems with our Oracle system where users get a “spinning ball” that makes the users think it is processing when it is really doing nothing. Oracle states that it is because of an out dated registry setting(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\MaxConnectionsPerServer) which they wanted us to change. We started to apply this to a couple users and it did work. Microsoft even says that internet standards have changed and they recommend changing the value.( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282402 )