- Parent Category: Knowledgebase Information
- Published: 03 June 2009
Wow, I had one user yesterday having a problem with word 07. Every time she closed Word it would crash. The build-in diag tools didn’t find a problem. I tracked it down to a template add-in that I was unable to remove. When removing an add-in, Word doesn’t save the settings until either Word is closed or the dialog box has accepted the changes. But every time I tried to close the dialog box Word crashed and didn’t save the changes. Here are the steps to fix this:
The problem really isn’t with wwlib.dll and you can test this by replacing wwlib.dll or by starting word without add-in enabled.
To do this Click Start>Run and type in winword /a
If word doesn’t crash then you know the problem is with an add-in.
First, try to remove add-ins by going to the Office Button>Word Options>Add-Ins
Then remove the suspect add-ins (you may have to disable many to track down the culprit)
If you are unable to remove an add-in follow the steps below for removal of said offender!
1. Close Word
2. Open Regedit
3. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\Data
4. Delete the Settings Key and any other keys EXCEPT “Toolbars” and “SettingsWordMail” Leave these two alone.
5. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Word\File MRU
6. Delete any instance of the offending add-in
7. Done, restart Word and the problem should be gone.
This information is provided "AS IS" with no warranties expressed or implied.